Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:11:40 -0400
From:      "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell@fdma.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Connection attempts (& active ids)

fyi, it is this activity, documented on several security lists that we are
seeing.

It is compromised systems we see trying to find 'children'
I would like to inform the owners of these systems that their computers have
been hacked into and let them take note
(sure beats the daily posts 'I found this in my logs, was I hacked'?

I would rather be proactive than reactive.
Now, since I can't wave a magic wand and do an rm -rf / & on every
linux/redhat 6.2 system out there, best I can do is to keep them from
spreading germs.

---- from recent mcafee email:

4. Virus News ? Linux/Adore Worm
RISK ASSESSMENT: LOW
Discovered on 4/5/01, The Linux/Adore package, containing "Elf" binary files
as
  well as script files,
targets to scan the internet to look for vulnerable Linux systems to
exploit.
  (Bind, rpc.statd, wu-ftp, lpd)
When an exploitable system has been found, it replaces the process file
called
  "ps". The original file gets
moved to the /usr/bin/adore directory, while the other files from the
  Linux/Adore package are put into
/usr/lib/lib.  If successful, the worm tries to send an e-mail to 4 e-mail
  addresses. The e-mail contains
system info from the vulnerable systems.
Learn more at http://hq.mcafeeasap.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99064