Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 22:34:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
Cc:        Unknow User <kernel@tdnet.com.br>, Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH2 (in FreeBSD-Questions)

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Matthew Hunt wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 02:40:01PM +0000, Unknow User wrote:
> > The problem is that we never now what SUID, port will install!
> > It happens that other has the same "false sense of security" i have:
>
> You smoke crack.

Just another crack expert on this list... 8()

> How do you know what SUID binaries any software will install?  You
> read the source!  You can do exactly the same for the Ports Collection.
> It's all plain English (or at least plain Makefile) for your perusal.

I usually read the Makefile, rather than the source. I also keep a 'tee'
of the output from the various make phases. When you install something
that is SUID, you will usually hear about it in your nightly mail, another
really nice feature of FreeBSD. I can't count how many times I've seen the
mail from customer firewalls and been able to remotely diagnose duplicate
client IP addresses from the ARP jumps...

> I think you need to learn how the Ports Collection works before you
> condemn it.  You clearly do not understand it all.

The ports collection just flat rocks! It's the only thing better than
packages. I frequently use the ports to take the first whack at something
before I port it to AIX or Linux. My FreeBSD laptop is a good porting
tool - Jy@