Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 00:34:51 -0600
From:      "Joe" <joe@thebestisp.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fw: FreeBSD firewall questions

well you should try some big transfers ie: 100+megs and see that you will
not get any better than maybe 75% even with a high end hub like intels or
baystack even there the latency alone would be severly higher that a dcd and
you would surelly get more collissions than with a dcd.. and the $40-$60
hubs that SMC/Linksys/etc put out I would be suprised if you get better that
5Mbps but through a switch sure you will push near 10 and with dcd even a
POS nic card will get you by at near cap. I do use all intel pro100b nic's
and through our local switched network I get solid 90+Mbps throughput. but
not through the hubs even the managed baystack that we put out in larger
networks only gets 65-70Mbps on a 100Mbps hub and that is due to collisions
and the backdown time and latency in general. And some of the baystack
10Mbps push 80% but no better. At any rate take a look at your hubs how many
of the that have util. meters go over 60-70%?? and call and ask the
manufacturer "What is the best util. I will get?" ask about a 10Mbps because
they will want to sell you a 100Mbps.. :-)