Date:      Fri, 08 May 1998 09:30:25 +1000
From:      Craig Wilson <craig@natsoft.com.au>
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, dg@root.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE

Studded wrote:

> > kern/4844 VM lookup, endless loop in vm_map_lookup_lookup_entry()
> > this PR was closed on Apr26 1998
>
>         Poul was the one who closed this with "fixed in -current." He's the one
> who should be able to tell you if it's fixed in -stable. Given that
> 2.2.6-Release was cut in march, this PR is certainly not fixed in that
> release.
>
> > kern/6258 VM lookup on kernel map........
> > this PR was closed on Apr26 1998
>
>         Similar situation with this one, fixed after 2.2.6-Release. It's also
> closed by poul with "fixed in -current" in spite of the fact that the
> audit trail has David Greenman asking for the fix to be applied to
> -Stable.

Thankyou for your assistance.
Maybe I had better stay with 2.2.2-RELEASE than use 2.2.6 without
the above patches. 2.2.2 is working 100% stable for me, so why change?
I will look at 2.2.7-RELEASE when it is available.

Just something else I would like to note.
I installed 2.2.6-RELEASE from CDROM onto a 486/66 Compaq EISA machine
with an IDE hard drive and with 8 meg ram. While I was building a
custom Kernel on ttyv1 I was using vi on ttyv2. When I exited vi
the system froze for approx 20 seconds, except that I could still
change from ttyv2 to ttyv1 with ALT F2 etc. ttyv0 had a login message,
however I could not login to it, ie no keyboard echo. After the 20 secs
the system returned to normal. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards Craig Wilson
National Software Pty Ltd