Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:33:58 -0300
From:      Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez <rnsanchez@wait4.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   truss hanged system

Hello,

A few minutes ago, I was filling up a PR for truss hanging the system, but my
data was lost right after I tried to save it.  In fact, I lost many files
from my last "session", including the errors truss reported.  As this is not
a test box, I won't do that again and I ask if someone has a 6.1 or 6.2 test
box to test it.

fsck complained:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad1s3a
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point kickstart.
swapon: adding /dev/ad1s3b as swap device
Starting file system checks:
/dev/ad1s3a: FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK (SALVAGED)
/dev/ad1s3a: 205328 files, 2045265 used, 2522326 free (33230 frags, 311137 blocks, 0.7% fragmentation)
/dev/ad1s2d: DEFER FOR BACKGROUND CHECKING
/dev/ad1s3d: DEFER FOR BACKGROUND CHECKING
/Audio was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
/Audio: 2080/153088 files (1.3% non-contiguous), 4384719/9765622 blocks
WARNING: /home was not properly dismounted
/home: mount pending error: blocks 764 files 6
WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
/tmp: mount pending error: blocks 0 files 1

What I did:

	% truss -a cat <some_symbolic_link>

Repeat that lots of times.  I was trying to gather the error messages
appearing at random (I remember "no such file or directory" for
/proc/<pid>/mem files, and another regarding "bad process" or something like
that).  In my last count, I got 6 errors for 33 launches.

I'll try to update my -CURRENT testbox, but it will take lots of time (it's a
300 MHz Pentium).

What happened:

My box lost all terminals.  None worked at all, and I couldn't open more
xterms.  Some X apps continued to work, others started to fail.  xmms lost
all of its configurations, Firefox lost some.  I suspect that it's due to the
complains showed above (fsck).

There was no dump (or break to gdb), but soft-reboot didn't worked (CA-del),
so I pressed the reset button.  Any other information I can provide?

% uname -a
FreeBSD sauron.lan.box 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sun May  7 04:32:43 UTC 2006     root@opus.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Regards, and thanks in advance.

--