Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:16:47 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New variable proposal: USE_NEWPATCH

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 04:17:06PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Akinori MUSHA wrote:
>
> > So now, hereby I'd propose we introduce a new variable USE_NEWPATCH as
> > attached.  That would help us in a few cases it won't pay us to bother
> > with.
>
> 	How about we import the new patch instead?

That's a nice idea; I've recently asked this same question in a followup
to an unrelated PR (with no response so far :)

However, importing the new patch would not solve this for users of earlier
FreeBSD releases; yes, I know that it has been said that the Ports Collection
is only officially supported for the 4.x and -current branches, but still,
I think there *are* some stubborn 3.x and maybe even 2.x users who would
like to benefit from it.  And I can hardly see an import of patch-2.5
into 3.x being approved or even suggested ;)  (and just to be in the clear,
no, I am not hereby suggesting it :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Hey, out there - is it *you* reading me, or is it someone else?