Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:34:49 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
Cc:        Wolfpaw - Dale Corse <admin-lists@wolfpaw.net>, hhorse@globalnet.co.uk, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No subject was specified.

On 2003-02-25 20:41, Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net> wrote:
>On Tuesday 25 February 2003 20:36, someone,
>possibly Wolfpaw - Dale Corse, typed:
>> " now that people are making money from letting every Tom, Dick and
>> Harry, so to speak, get on "
>>
>> That sounds dangerously close to the theories of a dictator, or a
>> repressive government.. Russia and China come to mind. Why shouldn't they
>> get on? It is a public internet after all. I don't know what country your
>> in, but here we have something called the "Charter of Rights and
>> Freedoms" which is supposed to entail freedom and equality for all.
>
> Oh don't get me wrong, I don't mind anybody getting on, but it would
> be nice if ISPs would atleast take the responsibility to educate
> their users before they let them on.

That's a bit utopian in nature.  ISPs don't care about education of
users.  They only care about their money, unless they don't work as a
business and have other means of getting themselves an income.

The Internet culture, if I may use the term, is something that depends
on us, the old farts of the place to grow and reach those that you
call `uneducated'.  Education is not something that ISPs can sell in a
package with the `connect fast with FooBar Networks, Inc.' CDROM disk.

It's us that have to sit down and write polite replies when someone
asks what seems a lot like a troll.  The `holier than thou' attitude
that is usually the result of what you described above is not going
to help anyone.  The newcomers to the networked world will quickly run
away from anything related to computers and networks, screaming ``Oh,
those absolutely mad lunatics are freaks that quickly jump upon anyone
who asks honestly a simple question''.  The ones left behind will
shake their heads in amazement, agreeing that ``This is outrageous!
I mean, did that &*^% troll really expect anyone to take her
seriously and reply?''.

Not good.  Definitely not good :-/

Both are right, and at the same time, both are wrong.