Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:46:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        darrylo@sr.hp.com (Darryl Okahata)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Celeron + FreeBSD?

> "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>
> > >      These days, I'm not sure dual Celerons make sense.  Unless you
> > > overclock (which I don't recommend, for all the usual reasons), you're
> > > only saving, oh, US$200-$230 compared to a comparable Pentium II-based
> > > system.  Also, because of the small 128K L2 cache and the 66MHz bus (no
> > > overclocking, remember?), dual Celerons aren't as fast as dual P2s.
> >
> > See other posting on this... real world can;t tell between 128K L2 and
> > 256K L2.  The 66 vs 100Mhz bus can make a difference, but were doing
> > all our Celeron stuff in PPGA370 with slot/1 adapters and running
> > the bus at 100Mhz so we are technically overclocking the FSB, but
> > leaving the core at normal speed, and thus didn't take that into
> > factor when doing our tests.
>
>      Huh?  All Celerons are multiplier-locked.  How are you able to
> decouple the FSB from the core?

Arghh.. your right...  I just went and hung a scope on the things, I
had ignored the fact that the Celeron is ignoring the jumpers and
the MB is just doing the right thing by forcing the clock to 66Mhz,
even though the jumpers are set to 100Mhz, 4x.  Go figure... :-(.

Sooo.... even at 66MHz FSB we don't see much of a difference
in OUR testing.  [I only yelled because I know someone is going
to come along with some synthetic benchmark or specific application
that shows a huge difference.]

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net