Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 20:40:30 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Phil Allsopp <phil@virtek.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd cacheing

At 11:38 PM 3/29/98 +0100, Phil Allsopp wrote:
>Does anyone here know if it is possible using freebsd to do the
>following :
>
>Can I use 2 ethernet cards and have 1 ethernet card connected to the
>Internet whilst the 2nd ethernet card is connected to an unregistered
>network ie(192.168.1.0) having a number of PC's connected using
>unregistered addresses. I want to add Squid in accelerator mode placed
>between the two cards.
>
>If anyone has already done this I would love to get some tips on
>how.....
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Phil

Right here! I've been doing it for almost a year, starting with when i used
my 28.8k connection.

Since I started this on a 486/33 8MB system, i decreased the Squid cache
sizes to 2MB in RAM and 10MB on HD, and decreased the number of folders and
subfolders it used to sort its cache (this 486 had 300MB of slow, old, IDE
hard drive).

Just run Squid on the FreeBSD machine and tell the others that you want to
use it for the WWW, gopher, and FTP proxy. This only works from within your
web browser. If you want full internet connectivity from the other
machines, use natd.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org