Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 13:28:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange panic on Alpha, SCSI disk *type* related

As Matthew Jacob wrote ...

> > I have an excellent case that (copyrights aside) this should be possible
> > (putting the f/w in the driver):
> >
> > my machine is an Aspen Alpine, which has EB64+ firmware running. It runs
> > the latest SRM available (which is ancient) and to add to the problem it
> > has the SRM in EPROM, not in flash.
>
> Tsk.

Right, tsk. ;-)

> > > the driver supports multiple cards with multiple f/w sets, the f/w was
> > > beggining to add 100KB to the driver.... completely outta hand...).
> >
> > Big, I agree. But I rather have a bigger kernel than a panic :-(
>
> We're talking 192KB big.

I know... :-(

I think 5.57 is the current f/w for KZPBA (aka isp1040)

> > Isn't it possible to flash the f/w onto the isp card itself? Or does the
> > Alpha always use the f/w contained in the SRM? The same cards also run
> > in a PC, so without the notion of SRM...
>
> It's not quite clear what the SRM does or does not do. It may or may not
> download from the card. Likely not. It also probably depends on the SRM
> version and the platform.

Well, Tru64 5.0 tells me:

Alpha 21064A Evaluation Board 274 MHz
DECchip 21072
pci0 (primary bus:0) at nexus
scsi0 at psiop0 slot 0
isp0 at pci0 slot 6
isp0: QLOGIC ISP1040B/V2
isp0: Firmware revision 2.10 (loaded by console)
isp0: Failed to enable fast RAM timing.
scsi1 at isp0 slot 0

So, in this case the SRM has loaded the f/w onto the isp card.

But on the same Tru64 5.0:

# strings isp.mod | grep load
isp_unload
DMA map_unload failed (sg_loop)
DMA map unload failed
isp_segment_load
Bad header/payload flags set in status entry: 0x%x
Fatal Error - No firmware image is present to load
Error detected in isp_chip_init, firmware load failure likely
RAM load failure
 (loaded from root filesystem)		!!!!!
 (loaded by console)			!!!!!
isp_load_ram

It appears the Tru64 driver can also load f/w onto the isp.

> Insofar as updating the cards themselves- this is a pretty much
> undocumented procedure that I would rather not become responsible for.
> There are tools available from the Qlogic website which allow you to do
> this (on a PC executing from DOS), but it's not really clear whether the
> SRM will pull this out of the BIOS flashrom and then download it to the
> SRAM on the card and set that running- I believe that SRM just downloads
> the code *it* has.

This is what I think happens, judging from the experiment above.

> The reason the f/w will be going back in the tree is to provide a
> *selection* of features such as Fabric or Target Mode support. The INSTALL
> kernel should not have any of this compiled in because it makes things
> probably too big to fit on floppies. Well, it's there for Alpha because
> there are so few other boards supported that there is room for it. Hell,

:-) I agree that this is a kind of a mess. SRM can only handle ncr and
isp (for PCI machines) IIRC.

> It's a hard problem to get right solution for, sorry.

I'll have a little discussion with one of my colleagues to see if
one can merge new isp f/w into the EB64+ SRM console binary. This guy used
to write repair diagnostics etc for Alpha so he knows a lot of the console
bit banging stuff.

Wilko