Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 13:08:10 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), wollman@lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody using netns?

> > > Why remove things that are optional, but not present by default?
> >
> > Tree bloat.  Why not make things 'smaller' given that the things that
> > make it bigger are useless (un-maintained, un-compilable, etc..) given
> > that the sources to those objects are still publically available in the
> > CVS tree to anyone who is interested in them.
>
> Tree bloat is not an excuse.  If you don't like it, don't copy it/check
> it out.

Which just happened by default.  By default, it was checked out, and now
the default behavior is to have it not checked out.  So, Garrett changed
the default behavior. :)

> "Nuke" did not sound like it was to remain in the CVS tree.

I think you are back-pedalling.  When have we *ever* removed something
from the CVS tree in the entire history of FreeBSD (except for the USL
thing which was forced upon us for legal reasons).

> > Obviously it's more difficult to look at them now, but should the
> > majority of the people using the system by 'penalized' (wasting their
> > disk space, etc..) to allow access to old, stale code?
>
> If they don't want to waste space on it, they don't have to copy it onto
> their disk.  Or they can simply remove it.  Like I do with IDE drivers
> on most of the production systems I install.

In order to remove it from the system, you assume that someone has the
space for it initially.  It's much easier to 'add' un-necessary parts to
the system than it is to 'remove' parts when you are stuck with a finite
amount of disk space.

All that was done (is going to be done) is that the default behavior of
'existance' was changed.

Nate