Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:28:33 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   APM

Hello.

I want to be able to use `shutdown -p now` to turn my machine off.
However, it does not work. At first, I had no apm device in the kernel,
so I added (from GENERIC):

device	apm0	at nexus? disable flags 0x20

This still did not work, so I tried each of the following, one at a
time:

device apm0
device apm0 at nexus?
device apm0 at nexus? flags 0x20

In all three cases, the kernel locks up right after it loads the md
driver, which I gather means it is trying to load the apm driver. Once I
tried this with debugging symbols, and ddb, and anything else I could
think of, but nothing works. It just freezes completely.

I have a Dell Dimension L733r with a Phoenix (I believe) BIOS, revision
A07. The system includes the i810 chipset.

Has anybody gotten APM to work on a similar machine? What good does the
disable flag do? It seems to just disable apm, which is pointless,
because I can just as easily remove the device line. Finally, is there
any other way to get `shutdown -p` working like I want it to?
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx