Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:31:29 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DRDB ... similar available for FreeBSD?

--qcHopEYAB45HaUaB

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 03:17:54PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>=20
> >On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 11:38:49AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >>
> >>Does anyone know of anything similar to http://www.drbd.org/ that works
> >>under FreeBSD?
> >
> >GEOM Gate by Pawel Dawidek. It comes with the system, assuming you're
> >running recent 5.x or 6.0:
> >
> >   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-May/026768.ht=
ml

> >Man pages ggatel(8), ggatec(8), ggated(8)
=20
> 'k, this looks sweet ... are there any better docs for it though?  For=20
> instance, if I have two 5.x servers, and want to replicate serverA:/fs1 -=
>=20
> serverB:/fs1, from what I can tell, I setup/startup ggated on serverA, an=
d=20
> serverB is setup with ggatec to "pull" that data across ... correct?  Now=
,=20
> how do you get serverB:/fs1 in sync with serverA:/fs1 in the first place?=
=20
> Is there an 'initialize' function that will have ggatec pull everything=
=20
> across?

Hmmm... I think it's still a bit new for really good documentation to
have been produced.  It hasn't yet been included in any released
version of the OS.  I'm not sure it should be trusted on production
servers either.

There's this, which is just a rehash of the mailing list traffic with
a little extra commentary:

    http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3104

Even Pawel's own pages at http://garage.freebsd.pl/ are pretty bare
bones and seem to me to be somewhat out of date too. There is this:

    http://garage.freebsd.pl/GEOM_Gate.pdf

Your question about replication: essentially what the GEOM Gate stuff
does is make a remote disk device apear on your system as if it was a
local disk.  I guess that if you want to replicate a file system
between two machines, you could try layering a GEOM mirror
(gmirror(8)) over the two to synchronise the bits, but I've never
tried to do anything like that.  Or you might be able to use vinum,
now that vinum is pretty much geom-ified.  However, I don't think you
could achieve RW access from two different machines.  RW on one, RO on
the other and mirrored on both *might* be possible.

You'ld probably get a better response if you asked on -hackers or
-current=20

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20