Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:40:19 -0500
From:      Noah Dunker <ndunker@jccc.net>
To:        'Trevin Chow' <tmchow@sfu.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ARP message filling my logs

I might be crazy here, but those logs look like something
that arpwatch would generate.  If you're running arpwatch,
shut it down.  If you're not running arpwatch, then you
will need to play with syslog.conf.  In general, FreeBSD
ships with a very "noisy" syslog default configuration for
a normal desktop user.  I'd try to figure what syslog
convention and level it's coming in as, and modify your
syslog.conf accordigly.  There's a LOT of juicy information
in books and on the web about how to tune syslog.  For a
REALLY detailed dissection of the syslog.conf file, give
chapter 8 of the book "Linux System Security" a read.  It's
a good book to have around, a lot of it applies to Linux AND
many other OS's, but a lot of it's only useable in Linux, too.

I don't know off the top of my head where you can get a good
tutorial about syslog off the Web.  Sorry.

Noah Dunker
Systems Analyst/Technician
Johnson County Community College