Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 06:41:20 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what's a maintainer to do?

> in ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/incoming there is a set of patches to
> bring it up to 6.0, clearly very old, so i guess incoming isn't where
> port upgrades should go.
>
> on april 20, i sent mail to this list ("Subject:  update to vile/xvile
> enclosed") to bring it up to 7.0.  i got no response, and had to unsubscribe
> shortly thereafter, so couldn't keep track, but it appears that that
> isn't the correct way to submit upgrades either, since it never happened.

Sorry, stuff put in incoming tends to go astray and the volume of the
mail in ports frequently gets to levels which cause important messages
like yours to be lost in the noise.

The answer, of course, is to submit the new port or update via
send-pr(1) or http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html so that it sticks
around until someone can go deal with it.  We all get a mail message
once a week for the open PRs which goes "yo!  deal with these!"  and
that helps to keep such items more fresh. :)

					Jordan