Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:16:00 -0800
From:      darlene@water.rsc.raytheon.com (Darlene Choontanom X45478 BSYS)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fcntl(xx, F_SETLK64, zz) ??

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong group to ask...

Background:  I'm running FreeBSD 4.4 on a file server we set up earlier
this year in the hopes of relieving some of the load from our Solaris
server.  Currently we have mostly Sun clients, and a few Redhat clients.

Problem:  one of the big CAD applications we run hangs if a) it is in-
stalled on the FreeBSD server, or b) if any of the user accounts that
call it is located on the FreeBSD machine.

After banging our heads into various different walls over a couple of
months, we narrowed it down to the fact that this application makes
a lot of (unnecessary?) NFS file locking calls.

From Sun clients, it hangs on the call:

fcntl(6, F_SETLK64, 0xFFBEA3A8)     (sleeping...)

From Redhat clients, it hangs on the call:

fcntl64(5, F_SETLK, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=0}) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

We did talk to the CAD vendor about this, and they swear they've removed
all NFS file locking.  However, there seem to be a few that they've missed.
Is this/are these options/commands supported anywhere under FreeBSD, and if
not, could it?

Thanks--
Darlene

---