Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 23:19:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Subject:   Re: hw.ata.wc && hw.ata.tags && softupdates short question

Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> wrote:
 > The reason that EXT2FS on Linux and UFS on Solaris and Tru64-UNIX are
 > so fast is because by default those filesystems are mounted async.
 > [...]
 > It is also safer than what Linux, Solaris, and Tru64-UNIX
 > do, which is by default asynchronously mounting their UFS and EXT2FS
 > filesystems.

Solaris and Tru64 do _not_ mount UFS filesystems asynchronously
by default.

Under Solaris, to enable async writes to a filesystem, you can
use the "fastfs" utility.  This is useful to speed up restoring
from a backup, for /tmp (if you don't want to use tmpfs for
some reason), or for traditional news spools and similar things.
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/inn/unoff-contrib/fastfs.c

Regards
   Oliver