Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 17:02:46 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, ambrisko@whistle.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG

> >> Nate, here's a patch to -current that addresses the issue Doug raised
> >> of CL-PD6832's that are initialized to odd ports and also allows users
> >> to specify a port for their pcic other than the bios default port.
> >
> >Ugh.  I really dislike adding 'yet another' config option.

> >So, wouldn't it be 'easier' to just hard-code the port to 0x3e0, since
> >that's where the code expects to find it?
>
> Well, it doesn't *break* anything, but it's icky. :-)

But it's less icky than requiring the user to set some magic flag to get
it working (which will either be set by default, so why require them to
set it), or it isn't set by default so it doesn't help them when
installing on their system.

> I just have a
> preference for configurable systems.  I agree however that making a
> parameter configurable that no one con configure isn't worth much
> (other than as incentive to change the unconfigurable stuff).

I agree, but after dealing with the PAO stuff which had zillions of
different configuration parameters that needed to be set, it became a
nightmare to keep *one* boot floppy that worked with everything that
didn't break everyone else.

> This version always maps the 6832 to the port where the pcic driver
> expects it to be listening.  So if we ever make the port in the pcic
> driver configurable the PCI driver will follow it.  (The new
> dependency is to find where the pcic driver expects the card to be).

Cool, I like this much better.

> Here's the patch:

Can I have you and Doug test it, and if things work I'll commit it to
the tree. :)

Nate