Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 00:32:40 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Drifter <drifter@stratos.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Making the X-Display Sane

On Thu, Dec 11, 1997 at 11:25:57PM -0500, Drifter wrote:

> 	Hi,
>
> 	I recently posted this to comp.windows.x, but did not get a response.
> I was hoping to get some advice on a non-critical, but very annoying
> aspect of XFree86 (3.3.1.). running on FBSD-2.2.5
> 	My default resolution is set at 800x600, 16 bits, which I believe to
> be pretty standard. Unfortunately, many applications in X-land seem to assume
> resolutions of Hestonian proportions, as if every one has 1500x1500 video
> displays.
> 	Many applications are too large to fit on the screen, and with the
> virtual desktop disabled (I don't like it, personally), I have to do the
> ol' right-click-move, resize, right-click move routine on at least half of
> the applications.
> 	Keep in mind, I *have* double-checked that I am in the right resolu-
> tion (I know about CTRL-ALT-KeyPad+, etc), and while 1024x768
> with 8-bit color is theoretically possible on a NEC MultiSync XV14 monitor,
> I am very uncomfortable with the weird oil-and-water pattern that warps
> my display if I try this. In any case, even that resolution wouldn't be
> enough with some apps.
> 	If I am lucky, the app. will remember my preferences when I resize
> (not likely).  Often, there are X-resources to set default geometries (often,
> this works but is a major pain) Some applications, however, (usually
> games like Xsoldier, Xboing, or xgolddig) refuse to be resized and don't
> appear to have settable geometries).
> 	In some cases, the window fits but the decorations are pushed off the
> side (I use AfterStep) but, as I said, some would not come even close to
> fitting on the screen.
> 	This wouldn't be a big deal, if it weren't for the fact that it
> seems that a disproportionately large number of applications do this.
>
> 	Is there any thing I can do to change this? (Short of buying a super-
> high res, 19-inch monitor with 4megs of video ram). Am I doomed to set
> *geometry resources all the time (if I'm "lucky")? Or will I have to
> just deal with it? Sorry about the length of this letter, but this is
> really getting to be aggravating.
>
> 	BTW, I have the "Virtual" and "Modes" are both set to 800x600 in
> /etc/XF86Config
>
> 	Thanks,
>           Drifter...
> ---
> drifter@stratos.nospam.net (remove nospam to send)
>      "Ever notice that in every commercial about the Internet, advertising
> geniuses cannot resist having a bunch of kids staring into a monitor, awe-
> struck, looking at a whale jumping out of the ocean? Or is it just me?"

If the application supports geometry settings:

Start and resize the application and run "xwininfo" from an xterm window.
The cursor will change to a cross; move it over to the application and
click on it. Information similar to the following will be displayed in
the xterm window (I have snipped some of it).

xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
would like information by clicking the
mouse in that window.

xwininfo: Window id: 0x100000b "xconsole"

Absolute upper-left X:  616
Absolute upper-left Y:  578

<snip>

Corners:  +616+578  -8+578  -8-120  +616-120
  -geometry 400x70-3+556
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Notice the geometry in the last line. If you start your application
with this as a command line argument, your application will always
be sized and placed *exactly* where you want it to be. You can
alias your command, e.g.,

   alias xconsole='xconsole -geometry 400x70-3+556'

(bash shell), so you can just type "xconsole" to get the desired effect.
You can also set up AfterStep to launch the application by specifying
the geometry argument within the startup file (.steprc).

I hope this helps. I am sure a 2M or 4M video card and a higher
resolution display would help too. :-)
--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.