Date:      Thu, 02 Feb 2006 02:39:01 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@iedowse.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/usb ehci.c ehci_pci.c ehcivar.h

In message <20060201063254.GD678@turion.vk2pj.dyndns.org>, Peter Jeremy writes:
>On Tue, 2006-Jan-31 22:00:21 +0000, Ian Dowse wrote:
>>In the case of USB, there is actually no need for it to perform
>>large contiguous allocations because the host controllers all support
>>some limited scatter-gather functionality so they can mostly access
>>the caller's memory buffer directly via bus_dmamap_load(). This is
>>something I implemented a year or to ago but I haven't got around
>>to finishing the last few details of the patch yet.
>
>I'd looked into the specs far enough to determine that this was
>possible but haven't looked at how difficult it would be to implement
>it.  I think this is a preferable solution and would be interested in
>helping you finish your patch.

I've updated

	http://people.freebsd.org/~iedowse/usb.diff

with the latest patch I have. I think there are still one or two
places where DMAADDR() calls have been replaced without all the
necessary logic to handle programming segment information into the
host controller descriptors (e.g. the "XXX, fixme" comment in
ohci.c).

I only updated the OHCI interrupt transfer code and the sl811hs
driver recently so there may be problems there, but most of the
older changes have had a reasonable amount of testing as I've been
using them on a low-memory soekris box for a couple of years.

Ian