Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 1996 08:51:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@stretch.cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Franz Hollerer <eeg@telecom.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What means 'foo', 'majordomo'?

On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Franz Hollerer wrote:

> But now I have some more questions.
> I don't know how to translate 'foo' and 'majordomo'. I often
> read this words under FreeBSD and Linux. But I do not find them
> in a dictionary.
> 'foo' can mean everything. Is this right?
>
> Anyway, does someone know an electronic English/German dictionary
> which runs under FreeBSD or Linux?
>
> Franz Hollerer
> EEG, Hard&Software Development
> Austria
> We have no kangaroos.

Servus,

	Close.  'Foo,' 'bar' and 'foobar' actually means nothing.  In most
cases, it means just as much as a variable name in an equation, e.g. X in
X + Y.  It is a generic value often used in examples by computer weenies.
It is rumored to be a military slang derived from the acronym for "Fucked
Up Beyond All Recognition."  Hence, you will also see it spelled "fubar."

	As for majordomo, it is just a mailing list software package.
Treat it as a proper name, i.e. do not translate it.

cheers,

	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
System Administrator                 --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
NVL, NIIMS and Telemedicine Labs       -->>| For an application and information
Member: League for Programming Freedom   ->| see: http://www.lpf.org/