Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 2004 04:52:37 +0100
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/75348: Tomcat port overwrites server.xml config file

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 08:08:27PM -0500, Brent Verner wrote:
>   The only thing this approach would change is where the
> configuration and files for the default instance are
> located.  Instead of /usr/local/jakarta-tomcatN*/, the
> default instance would run from /usr/local/elsewhere/tomcatN*/.
>
> | Whatever you come up with, please keep things simple for those of us who
> | expect the port to install a standard Tomcat setup, including the latest
> | default configuration files.
>
>   I hope I'm not coming up with this :-)  I would just like to
> see the itches in freebsd's tomcat ports scratched.  I'm just
> throwing ideas about.  If we decide on a best way to fix the(se)
> port(s), maybe someone will implement it.  If not, I may try
> to find time to do it, but my time get pretty scarce at times :-\
>
>   Thanks for your comments.  If this is, again, unclear, let me
> know and I'll try again.  If this is all pointless discussion,
> the lists readership could let me know that, too :-)

This is no pointless discussion IMHO. We all agree that we need to have
Tomcat behave like any other port, run straight out-of-the-box, and deal
with user configuration files.

I've had a closer look at this CATALINA stuff and I agree with what you
suggest, that is having configuration files in a separate place.
Actually I would like Java ports to behave just like any other port and
that means they should honor hier(7).

I suggest using ${PREFIX}/etc/jakarta-tomcatXX as the location for
configuration files (for the default instance). Still this won't solve
the issue reported in the PR, that is configuration files being
overwritten when upgrading the port.

OTOH, I think I have a solution for the "common" user someone described
earlier, that is the kind of user who does not change anything to its
configuration files and want the port to upgrade those configuration
files (not only the '*.sample' ones):

For each $f configuration file, if the old $f and the old $f.sample are
identical, then it means the user did not change anything to the
file and we may overwrite $f and $f.sample with the new ones. Otherwise,
we just overwrite $f.sample. We could also output the diff between
old $f.sample and the new one so that the user may "merge" these changes
in his own configuration file.

Now, that sounds quite a complex thing and I think that if we were to
implement it, this should be a generic macro or tool, as many others
ports would benefit from such feature.

Herve