Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:10:46 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Robin Becker <robin@jessikat.fsnet.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Python-2.1.1 extension problem

Robin Becker <robin@jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> types:
> In article <15243.587.29088.614156@guru.mired.org>, Mike Meyer
> <mwm@mired.org> writes
> >Robin Becker <robin@jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> types:
> >It would be nice if we new what the extension was.
> that really doesn't matter

It makes it very hard to try and recreate the problem, should that be
required to solve the problem.

> >There's the answer. The binary package of Python-2.1.1 was probably
> >built on a system that had a wchar.h.
> So the released binary packages don't correspond to usable systems. Not
> good practice.

Actually, the released binary packages correspond to the system they
were built on, which is usually pretty usable - after all, it's used
to build those packages from the ports tree. Trying to move a binary
built on one version of FreeBSD to another is bad practice, though it
usually works. You're better off building from ports on your own
system, thought that can also break.

It would be nice if the packages could all determine these things
dynamically, but I suspect most application authors would just tell
you to recompile for your version of the OS.

	<mike