Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 06:57:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        hawk76@mail.ev1.net
Cc:        hou-freebsd@cityscope.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Prompt and Path questions

> From: " Vodyanoi" <hawk76@mail.ev1.net>
>
> Hello all,
>   I appear to have a small issue with the setup of both my path and
>   prompt settings. I am using sh for my shell. I have edited the
>   prompt setting in the .shrc file in the home dir but it didn't
>   work quite the way I expected it to. below is what I have in this
>   file. what I had before was the same, I only added the "| `pwd'#"
>   & $ sections.
>
> PS1="`whoami`@`hostname | sed 's/\..*//'`"
>  case `id -u` in
>         0) PS1="${PS1}|`pwd`# ";;
>         *) PS1="${PS1}|`pwd`$ ";;
>  esac
>
> This gives the the prompt that I want (username@host|<current
> path>$) but it dosn't change when I change paths. I searched the
> archives for the mailing list and found somethig about using CD
> insteadof PS1 but not sure what CD is or how to set that up.

dunno.  :(

> Also I seem to be having a problem with some commands that are
> located in my /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin not running. I get
> the error message command not found and have to enter the full path
> with the command. I've checked and these paths are in my path
> setting. this happens mainly with programs that I've installed and
> not with the commands and programs that install orignally.

Try logging out then back in.  I *believe* that when you type in a
command at the prompt, the system doesn't actually search each
directory of your path looking for the file.  Instead, it looks at a
table in memory that was created when you logged in.  If you install a
new program in those directories, it wont know about it until you
rebuild that table.

Honestly, I'm guessing at this - this would be one explanation for the
behavior I have witnessed.  If somebody else knows better, please say
so.  Also, if I'm guessing right, is there a command to reload that
data without logging out then back in?

--
Derrick Baumer - Black Duck Software
        <bduk@earthlink.net>