Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 1995 13:58:40 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: No Thumbs??? (lack of concensus)

> I've been chasing down specs in the hopes of predicting how hot these
> guys run.  Unfortunately, there seems to be little correlation between
> Pd and reported case temperatures (and I note that the 3243 I was chasing
> seems to be one of the nastiest wrt Pd!).

Well, you could always try the Quantum Grand Prix drives - I've heard
that the newest generation are considerably more reliable, and not
quite so hot as the 'cudas.

>    Are these things comfortable in an external enclosure (e.g., two
> drives in a dual drive enclosure with a single fan)?  Just how "hot"
> is "hot"?

Hotter than that! :-) I wouldn't recommend it.  One drive in a box
maybe.  Two, well, maybe you could put a hot plate on top and cook
your breakfast in the morning.. :-)

>    Likewise, is Icc(startup) going to require sequencing the spindles on
> the drives?  Or, is this of such a transient nature that it is

No.

					Jordan