Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:19:02 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: threads and the scheduler(s).

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:11:27PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
>=20
> At the beginning of this we spec'd out a design and several things
> were said.
>=20
> 1/ the names of these entities might change as we discover the
> implementation details,=20
>=20
> and
>=20
> 2/ Sme of thes structures (thread, KSE, KSEGRP, proc) might become
> more or less 'virtual' when we try implement them.
>=20
> Well that time has happenned.

I'm kind of concerned that KSE has turned into something much more
complicated than it should ever have been (and already was at the
beginning).  I understand scheduler activations, but as far as I can
tell we're no longer even close to the original KSE design because of
various incremental changes in direction, and there's no coherent
documentation for the current state of affairs (or explanations for
the various design decisions in departure from the original design).

I guess I don't actually have anything constructive to say, but I
really hope this whole KSE thing isn't going to turn out to be an
over-designed way of not-really-solving non-problems.

Kris

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM--