Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 20:41:19 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testers please!

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Ok, noted.  I changed to to fail the probe but still use the hardware.

If intpm is probed first (the smbus driver), your probe won't even get
called. I think we need an early quirks or hooks handler in the pci probes
to handle stuff like this.  For example, we have hooks fixing up a handful
of wierd bios misconfigurations, collecting these together via a quirks
table or whatever would also give a convenient place for you to hook this
sort of thing into, and without it being dependent on link or probe order.

> Poul-Henning
>
> In message <19990920012447.C1C1B1CC5@overcee.netplex.com.au>, Peter Wemm writ
    es
> :
> >Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >>
> >> If you have a PIIX4 based SMP system and run current, could you
> >> please try out this patch:
> >>
> >> 	http://phk.freebsd.dk/piix/
> >>
> >> I'm very interested in hearing if there are any measurable difference
> >> apart from clock granularity being 3 times better.
> >
> >There is a problem with it as it tries to claim the same device as claimed
> >by pcisupport.c and intpm.c..  pcisupport.c is where some folks have been
> >hanging Tor Egge's RTC SMI trap patch from..

Cheers,
-Peter