Date:      Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:20:56 +0100
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@offmyserver.com>
To:        Chris Zumbrunn <chris@czv.com>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Finally, an implementation of a new FreeBSD.org

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 21:01 +0100, Chris Zumbrunn wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2005, at 8:12 PM, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> > Ah, alright. I'll see if I can find a nice matching dark blue. The
> > difficult thing about these headers is that they're actually made with
> > going to go through the web site and clean these sorts of old-style
> > HTML
> > semantics up, remove HTML text display and formatting tags (except for
> > the tables) and extend the stylesheets.
>
> If we change this, then of course this will impact pretty much every
> freebsd html page ever produced, including the Handbook etc. And because
> the color of these headlines in the Handbook is pretty much the only
> thing
> that still gives it the FreeBSD look and feel, that will be a BIG
> change.

I don't think that we'll _have_ to change the handbook colors and such.
It looks to me like the handbook has its own stylesheet, so this
wouldn't necessarily _have_ to conform to our `new' colors. For
consistency, it might be nice.

> I'm not against changing this to a blue tone. But I wanted to point out
> the
> significance of that change. The alternative would be to use the same
> dark
> red tone for the logo, like I've done in previous mockups.

I didn't mind the dark red version, and I think that the people I asked
actually liked it better.

> Or maybe if we add slightly more yellow to that red tone in order to
> make it
> more complementary with the blue. Using a second color isn't necessarily
> a bad thing. If everything is in blue tones then it will be a VERY cool
> site ;-)

That's very true. While blue is easy on the eye, I've also read things
about that it's bad for the eye. Don't know how true that is.

One thing that can be applied actually comes from one of the ugliest
(but one of the most functional) UIs I know of: Rio from Plan 9. The
colors in Rio are soft, natural colors that blend with each other. Its
colors (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/screenshot.html) are quite
nice and they contrast _very_ well. Perhaps experimenting with some of
these colors would be nice.

Also, there is nothing that says that we _must_ use one theme or the
other. We can simply attach multiple stylesheets to the page (at least
for the time being) and switch them around to see how they look. You can
do this (in Firefox, anyway) with View->Page Style. I think at the
moment, attaching multiple stylesheets is the best idea.

> > Chris, are you subscribed to www@? I just did.
>
> Yes, I am :-)

Marvelous. I guess Robert and / or Gordon will contact you about a
Perforce account.

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell