Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 10:41:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Indentation styles

J Wunsch writes:

> As Michael Smith wrote:
>
>> Ehh, even the VT100 can handle 132 columns 8)
>
> That doesn't make it better readable.  Any text with more than ~ 60
> ... 70 characters per line is unreadable.
>
> Not to speak about the eye-damaging small fonts required (not all of
> us can afford 29-inch monitors).

All a matter of taste.  I've already said I don't want to go beyond
110 chars on an xterm, but I run my primary display at 1280x1024 on a
21" monitor and use 6x13 font to get as much text as possible.  If I
fill out the screen, my xterms have 76 lines of 208 characters.  And
my eyes have not deteriorated more than those of anybody else of my
age.

Of course, when we start talking about things like 'eye-damaging', we
get into a whole new discussion.  What I really don't understand is
how many people position their workspace (desk, chair, keyboard,
monitor) in such an ergonomically unsuitable manner.  I noticed this
particularly at SNI, when it seemed that just about *everybody* made
the worst they could out of the equipment at their disposition.

Greg