Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 02:22:23 +0200
From:      Munish Chopra <chopra@runbox.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ReiserFS (was: JFS (was: The FreeBSD core team needs your help))

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 09:02:43AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

[snip a whole boatload of stuff]

> I don't know enough about ReiserFS to be able to give a useful
> opinion.  The Linux people I know are by no means in agreement about
> its merits, but I've heard that it's best as a "special purpose" FS
> for small files.  I don't know how valid that statement is.

Performance with a ton of small files is excellent, yes. It also saves
space because it doesn't waste big blocks for small files etc., but for
technical merits one should really read the paper on it. Real-world
though, expect to find a lot of odd stuff in your lost+found dir on
Linux. You can also expect weird behavior, though in general performance
on (certain) kernels of the 2.4.x series has been quite good and stable.

I'm still more impressed by XFS (on paper), but I've never run it on
Linux myself. From those that have though, I hear it's very good, and
the SGI folks seem to be putting a lot of work into key areas. Some of
the kiddie diseases are wearing off apparently, and it's actually
maturing nicely.

Anyway, both are very interesting in the different approaches they take.

--
-Munish