Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2017 14:37:40 -0400
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ypldap

--x4SoFBBiEViufh04Ol4fO1owRFsbVB30T
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--w53LFXmpSHsmDH8WiNFxkHxiMGalDXlmC

On 06/06/2017 13:09, Friedrich Locke wrote:
> Does FreeBSD ypldap support all default maps from traditional NIS ?
> I mean, does FBSD ypldap supports netgroup, aliases, bootparams, etc ..=
=2E.
>=20
> Thanks in advance.
>=20
> PS: As far as know, Openbsd only supports passwd and group maps

I believe that NIS support -- whether via ypldap(8) or the original
ypserv(8) will only provide support for:

    group
    passwd
    hosts
    services

on FreeBSD.  (All of those, except for hosts support the '+' entry in
the local files to indicate referral to NIS.)

Be aware that the NIS code is not that widely used nowadays and could
well be buggy.  Most people implementing LDAP as a password database
would instead install net/nss-pam-ldapd (or  net/nss-pam-ldapd-sasl)
which allows making LDAP lookups directly from /etc/nsswitch.conf

If you want LDAP support for /etc/mail/aliases that's best achieved by
installing a MTA from ports with LDAP support compiled in.  The ports
version of sendmail can be LDAP enabled, but I very much prefer postfix
for doing this -- it has a particularly nice and flexible configuration
syntax for looking up just about anything from LDAP or various other
databases.

	Cheers,

	Matthew