Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:08:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Edwin Mons <e@ik.nu>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI ZIP slow transfers

Hi.

I use FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE at home, and have a SCSI ZIP drive attached
to an NCR-810 controller.  When reading or writing DOS disks, I can read
and write at 97 KB/s max.  If the disk is a UFS ZIP, transfer speeds of
400 KB/s can be reached, but if I dd the raw data from either one of these
two disks, speed is reduced to 97 KB/s again.  After enabling CDB debugging
for the ZIP drive I noticed that when accessing the UFS ZIP data is read
in 64 KB blocks, while when reading raw data (with dd) or a DOS disk, the
blocksize is 4KB.

Can anybody explain this to me?  I more or less expected to see the 4 KB
blocksize when accessing the DOS partition (8 sector cluster layout), but
I can't explain the 4 KB blocks for raw reads.

Regards,
Edwin Mons

 Edwin Mons                      | ...and the LART shall reign, and the
 e@ik.nu                         | daemons shall conquer the evil fortresses
 http://www.mons.net             | of the beast of NT and their leagues of
 FreeBSD - the power to serve    | management and MicroDrones...