Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:54:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Willis <awillis@omega.honk.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot problems

Perhaps someone can help me with this...I just bought a new computer.

(2) pII 400 chips
(1) Intel 1440GX (Dual CPU PIII) motherboard
(2) 256 MB SDRAM
(1) Mylex Raid 960 model 150 adapter
(3) Quantum Atlas IV 9.1 GB Ultra2 SCSI
(1) CDROM 40x
(1) Floppy 1.44
(1) Server case with redundant power supply

I wanted to install FreeBSD as a web server, but every time i try and boot
off the first install disk kern.flp 3.2-RELEASE, the machine halts with a
hex dump. The machine has an onboard scsi (Adaptec AIC-7896). OpenBSD
2.5 and FreeBSD 2.2.8 will boot, but they dont recognize the disk
controller. I was told FreeBSD supports the Mylex raid. Someone please
help me with this...I have tried two different floppies as well. Im using
dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/fd0 on a sun ultra 5 to make the disk image.

Andrew