Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 1999 17:15:55 -0700
From:      "+ +" <uvatha@my-Deja.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   port forwarding, again

Hi all,

   I posted this question last week in the form of "Can
I do port forwarding with 2.2.7?"  I'm going to post
again in the form of, "Can I do it at all?", because
I'm against a brick wall here.  (No one replied to my post; I'm hoping I didn't phrase the question right.)

All I need to do is forward TCP packets that arrive at
my firewall (running FreeBSD 2.2.7) on a certain port
(let's say 4000) to the same port on a machine on my
local network.  It seems that I should be able to do this by adding a single ipfw rule to my rc.firewall.
However, the ipfw man page is cryptic and offers no
examples for my situation.  Nor do any of the archives
for this list seem to tackle this exact problem.

I *really* need to get this running, hopefully soon,
and with a minimum of fuss.  My order of fallbacks,
then, will be:

1) Learn how to do it with 2.2.7 and ipfw.  I was hoping this would be easy.

2) Learn that I need a newer version of FreeBSD and
do some sort of painful upgrade.  (The machine is not
really in any shape to do a "make world",
unfortunately, and it does not have a CD-ROM drive
anymore.)

3) Learn that I cannot do it with FreeBSD.  Wipe the
hard drive, install Linux, and do it with ipchains.
I'd rather not do this.

4) Tell my employer that this task is impossible and
that we might as well forget the whole thing. :)

At the very least, can someone tell me a commercial
support firm that I could call and at least pay $50 to
get a "no, you can't do that" or "yeah, you can do
that" response?

I would appreciate any input greatly.  Thanks!