Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:11:59 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        "'Chuck Swiger'" <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD -' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: One or Four?

[snip]

> > I'd argue that there should never be a single-"/" unless you are prepared to
> > deal with a truly 100%-full filesystem problem (especially considering that
> > Desktop users whom select the default-everything are often not skilled
enough
> > deal with that situation). If someone truly wants a single "/" and nothing
else,
> > there's manual partitioning (which should prove pretty easy in the event
that
> > you're only creating one partition and nothing else).
>

> More sophisticated partition schemes certainly can have value in terms of
better
> isolation from unexpected logfile growth (etc), a separation of OS-provided
files
> from user content, a separation of stuff which doesn't change often versus
stuff
> that does, and so forth.
>
> However, for whatever reasons, the overwhelming majority of folks using MacOS
> X don't have problems using a single root partition, and while they sometimes
do
> fill up their disks, that's a situation which they should be able to recover
from
> without needing expert assistance.  I don't recall having unusual issues in
running
> a partition out of space under FreeBSD, either, or difficulty fixing things
> afterwards--

Recipe for disaster:

1. You have a cron-job that pulls down /etc/master.passwd daily
2. Your cron-job also runs pwd_mkdb after "SUP"ing down /etc/master.passwd
3. A program fills "/"
4. cron fires
5. pwd_mkdb can't generate databases because not enough room on filesystem
6. System can no longer be logged into
7. System is rebooted
8. Can't log in (not even as root)
9. Go into single-user mode
10. No space to work in

Sure... you can call it an "edge-case," but it's pretty common and this is only
one of a myriad of ways we can reproduce the problem of filling-up "/" to cause
major headaches.

For example, let's say you don't have a cron-job that runs pwd_mkdb etc. Let's
say you're just blissfully unaware of your disk space (or lack thereof) and you
execute "vipw". Exiting the program after making changes invokes pwd_mkdb and if
there isn't enough disk space to accommodate the database, you're hosed.
--
Devin