Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 12:24:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Morgan Davis <mdavis@io.cts.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random dives out of make world

A couple days ago, I wrote:
> What might cause a system with the latest -stable sources to bomb out
> of a "make world" at random places with "internal compiler error:
> signal 11" and other such errors?

I received a lot of good suggestions on this.  The consensus is either
bad RAM, too aggressive BIOS settings for RAM speed, overheated CPU,
or some other hardware problem like SCSI termination.

Before reporting this problem, I also thought it was bad RAM.  So I
swapped in a new set of EDO SIMMs, but with no change in behavior.  So
now I'll check the BIOS settings next -- that's probably the culprit.

Thanks again for the quick and excellent advice I received from many
of you.

--Morgan