Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:02:06 +0200
From:      Robert.Eckardt@genorz.de
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert.Eckardt@rhein-main.netsurf.de
Subject:   Failure to run 3.1-RELEASE/STABLE

Hello,
for several days now I'm trying to get my system running under
3.1-RELEASE/STABLE
(as of 24.4.1999) with disk mirroring.
After I found that my system liked to panic very often when I configured
vinum or ccd,
I configured i4b and upgraded to 3.1-STABLE.
Since working with vinum not only lead to panics but also made my boot disk
unbootable
("System halted" on loading the loader) I go now with ccd -- which worked
fine in 2.2.2, BTW.
May be one day, when vinum is reliable, I'll give it another try.

My system is a P-133 with 32MB RAM on an ASUS board with SC200 SCSI
adapter, SMC ethernet
interface, MatroxMystique graphics card and SoundBlaster 16 PnP.

I configured two ccds (ccd0, ccd1 -- 6 GB each) and combined them to a
mirrored ccd2 using
ccdconfig -cv ccd0  0  0  /dev/da1s1e /dev/da0s1e
ccdconfig -cv ccd1  0  0  /dev/wd1s1e /dev/da2s1e /dev/wd0s1e
ccdconfig -cv ccd2  4096  6  /dev/ccd0c /dev/ccd1c
ccdconfig -g > /etc/ccd.conf

I had to add device nodes for /dev/rccd[012], e.g.  ... 74  0x00010002
/dev/rccd0,
to disklabel ccd0 and ccd1.
After reboot I receive now the message `ccd2: device busy'.
However, adding ccd2 by hand works.
Unconfiguring all ccds and again configuring ccd0 lets my machine hang. (I
can switch VTYs
and enter characters on the last active screen, however it doesn't react on
^^C or ^^Z and
other VTYs don't react at all.)
Have other users had similar problems or did I a mistake ?

I have another problem with the kernel configuration:

Can some kind soul point me to the documentation on the boot process and
where and how
to configure the loader to read the changes to the kernel configuration ?
It was extremely nasty to enter the port and iomem for ed0 on every reboot.
The information in
/kernel.config was/is ignored on reboot. Instead, I now built my custom
kernel.
However, I would be nice to have. :-)

Thanks in advance,
Robert