Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:43:26 +0000
From:      John Hawkes-Reed <hirez@libeljournal.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Subject:   Re: Fresh install on gmirror'ed disks?

On Friday 03 March 2006 03:01, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> JoaoBR wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 March 2006 22:59, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> >> Thats what i figured. Its sad that the fbsd installer is so behind the
> >> linux ones, in terms of setting up raid and lvm during install.
> >
> > I'm sorry that such things make you sad but do you mind to explain why
> > this is "behind" ?
>
> Because most Linux distributions have had this feature for a while now.
> It's no secret that our installer blows. It gets the job done for a
> basic install, provided you know its quirks, and thats it.

Hm. I don't believe that's true. In the last couple of months, I've had=20
occasion to attempt installation of Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo and FreeBSD the=
=20
same box. (And HP-UX and Solaris on different ones slightly less recently)

Gentoo was dreadful. Dumping a user at a command prompt may appeal to the=20
geek-machismo types, but not I think to anyone who has to work for a living=
=2E=20
CDROM -> trash.

Ubuntu uses/used the Debian installer.

Debian I've got used to. (In that it's filled with gotchas, so it takes a=20
couple of false starts to get a useful system.)

Yes, it's got alleged RAID and LVM options in the disk-setup menus. However=
,=20
I've never been able to make them work. I'd rather things were absent from =
an=20
installer, rather than there being tantalising options that raise false hop=
e.

=46rom what I remember, the Solaris installer is fairly pretty and works we=
ll,=20
while the HP example is somewhat messy. The mirroring instructions for both=
=20
those OSes assumed you'd a working system first.

Mind, a GEOM-aware installer is an attactive WIBNI...

I'm also not sure that the onward march of disk-size is strictly relevant.=
=20
Were I building a PC-based RAID, I'd make sure I bought an=20
appropriately-sized spare disk at the same time as the rest of the set.

=2D-=20
JH-R