Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:12:40 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?David_Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        jonlarssen@hotmail.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPS scenario; HOWTO?

Jon Larssen wrote:
 > I'm adding a UPS to my FreeBSD server, and after reading docs and
 > such, I think I understand the process. But I have one question
 > regarding a far fetched scenario. Just imagine this:
[snip]
 > This problem has a solution? Hack? Workaround?

The way I've set it up, the UPS monitor issues a 'shutdown -p' when
the battery is low.  A local hack to rc.shutdown then instructs the
UPS to turn itself off a few seconds later.

So after power has been down for a while, the PC starts shutting down,
tells the UPS to shutdown soon, and turns itself off.  The UPS shuts
down seconds afterwards and waits for power to be restored - it
needn't even drain its battery.

--=20
David Sieb=F6rger
drs@rucus.ru.ac.za