Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:51:17 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>, "janb@cs.utep.edu" <janb@cs.utep.edu>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <daniel.sobral@tcoip.com.br>, Stefan Molnar <stefan@csudsu.com>, Marek Gorka <marek.gorka@tpi.pl>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3 and 6G RAM

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Has any other BSD or linux tackled this issue yet?

Did you ask if there's PAE support in Linux? There is. PAE seems to be of
dubious value though. Apart from performance issues, even though you have
36-bit memory addressing, your programs still use 32-bit addressing; also,
if I remember correctly, user programs in Linux are limited to 3GB each...

Seems to me that it's better to go fully 64-bit rather than utilise the
PAE hack.

--
Regards,

Juha