Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:19:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        "Don O'Neil" <lists@lizardhill.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating from i386 to AMD64

> Now.. Can I just use the same SMP kernel I have currently (assuming the
> correct drivers are loaded) for the X2 processor if I just want to run it in
> 32 bit mode? Or do I need to do a complete re-install/upgrade to the AMD64
> platform version of FreeBSD?

you have to reinstall completely. BUT

- make a list of installed ports
- make backup of all configuration files and data files
- install FReeBSD/AMD64 AND this ports
- THEN put all your config files and data files.

and then it should work fine. and there is noticable speed difference
compared to i386.