Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:47:40 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: menus

Chuck Robey wrote:
| I need to know more about where files are in the FreeBSD gnome.  I don't
| want to pester you forever, but I need to know how to fix the location of
| files in gnome, so I can change things.
|
| It won't come as a shock to anyhow to know that gnome wants to assume it's
| always installed in Linux, or that Linux has the horrible habit of
| installing everything under /usr.  This means that I will never find files
| installed under a FreeBSD port installed where they would be in a classic
| Linux install (which most of their docs will assume they should be).  This
| isn't a complaint, it's quite right, and I am happy that the FreeBSD
| porters took this adult approach, if anything I am unhappy at the Linux
| folks for not doing this obvious thing (installing OUTSIDE of /usr,
| keeping ports OUT of /usr/bin, usr/share, etc, etc)

Not true.  The FreeBSD ports have been modified to respected FreeBSD's
LOCALBASE and X11BASE.

| OK, I have been pointed to a file that carries the gnome menu info, file
| /usr/share/applications/mozilla.dektop.  I don't konw which of our gnome
| ports installs this file, only that x11/gnome2 doesn't list it.  I looked
| at the FreeBSD-gnome web page lookibng for any info on file mapping,
| didn't find anything, so I am asking here.  I want to add a bunch of
| browsers to the gnome file menus; can anyone point me towards a port that
| installs this file, or perhaps the gnome file mapping for the FreeBSD
| port (this is much better!)

This file isn't installed by any FreeBSD port.  Mozilla will install a
/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/applications/mozilla.desktop if you configure it
with the right option.  Of course, per my previous emails, all of the
browsers in FreeBSD can automatically install menu entries under
Applications->Internet.

Joe

-

-