Date:      Thu, 7 Jul 2022 22:11:52 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Klaus_K=C3=BCchemann?= <maciphone2@googlemail.com>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessibility in the FreeBSD installer and console

> Am 07.07.2022 um 19:32 schrieb Hans Petter Selasky <hps at selasky =
org>:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> The only argument I've heard from some non-sighted friends about not =
using FreeBSD natively is that ooh, MacOSX is so cool. It starts =
speaking from the start if I press this and this key. Is anyone here =
working on or wanting such a feature?

Possibly they didn=E2=80=99t want to  be rude and your friends didn't =
tell you the other argument  :-)  : according to the corresponding wiki =
page FreeBSD doesn't natively support any audio output at all on your =
friends current M1 Mac hardware.
 since quite nothing is currently supported you probably will first take =
over working on the Audio driver =E2=80=A6..and of course USB  :-)

> I mean it should be so much easier to text to speech our text based =
unicode console, than what MacOSX is doing, by tracking screen changes =
intelligently inside newcons in the kernel, and feeding that into a =
character device, that to espeak or whatever can read it.

nowadays called MacOS ( w/o the X)=E2=80=A6 as far as I remember even =
System7 Mac of 1984 had text to speech features =20
so it might be hard to convince a Mac users with such a brand new voice =
over killer app in native  FreeBSD ;-)-
but I would ask your friends who can judge that.

>=20
> --HPS
>=20

K.=