Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:39:11 +0100
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, "Johan Henselmans" <johan@netsense.nl>
Subject:   Re: Proposed patchset to support DreamPlug on freebsd 9 and 10.

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:39:18 +0100, Johan Henselmans <johan@netsense.nl>
wrote:

> I have just compiled and run a freebsd-current with a patchset I found
> on http://jessewhite.ca/dreamplug-freebsd/ on a dreamplug which starts
> with serialnumber DS2-1213.
>
> According to the discussion on the FreedomBox mailinglist there seem to
> be different varieties depending on the first four digits of the serial
> number. I bought mine in july 2012, direct from GlobalScale. It came
> with a 4 GB SDHC card.
>
> I use the internal card, formatted with a fat and a ufs partition.
>
> I used the latest Freebsd-current (12-nov-2012) as a base system,
> apparently with clang as a compiler. I then gitted the freebsd tree from
> github into /usr/local/src/bsdcode/freebsd, to make it easier to
> differentiate between the /usr/src/ 'prodcution' tree and the
> /usr/local/src/bsdcode/freebsd 'arm test' tree.
>
> All I did was twiddle with the kernel config file to replace the
> ZERO_COPY_SOCKETS option that is now replaced by SOCKET_SEND_COW and
> SOCKET_RECV_PFLIP, and remove the IPFIREWALL_FORWARD option, which is
> now always compile in.
>
> #removed in freebsd10
> #options        IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
>
> # eliminating data copies on socket reads and writes.
> # man 9 zero_copy
> #options                ZERO_COPY_SOCKETS
> #bsd 10
> options                 SOCKET_SEND_COW
> options                 SOCKET_RECV_PFLIP

This zero_copy stuff is declared 'buggy' and you are advised to not use
it. (Not by me, but by people who program network stuff in the FreeBSD
kernel.)

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-all/2012-October/060243.html
http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/ZERO-COPY-SOCKETS-kernel-option-removed-td5754422.html

Ronald.