Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:55:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        lecn1306@ele.etsmtl.ca, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW booting problems

David O'Brien writes:
 > On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 11:29:32PM -0500, Normand Leclerc wrote:
 > > Quanta, Atom server; Console V5.8-1, Jun 21 2000 16:01:20
 > >                         Quanta, Atom server;
 > > Alpha 21164PC-2
 >
 > What kind of Alpha is this?  You mentioned it was a PC164SX, right?
 > I don't remember this being the same output as the one I had.
 >
 > > MEMORY
 > > 128 MBytes of system memory
 > > Bank #       Size     Base Addr
 > > ------    ----------  ---------
 > >   0         128 MB    000000000
 >
 > Especially as my 164SX mobo had to have DIMMs in pairs

I think only the PC164 (no LX or SX) requires memory installation in pairs.

 > > Bcache Size = 1 MB
 >
 > Nor did it have 1MB cache.

From what I can tell, Nor did you have a 164SX. ;)

From the product brief at
http://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/literature/164sxpb.pdf
it certainly sounds like a 164sx -- 1MB Bcache,  Cypress Super I/O,
etc.  I don't know whats up with the "Quanta, Atom server" line.

Normand, in regard to your SCSI problems.  The 2940 (and most U/W scsi
cards) can only use 2 of their 3 connectors (2 68pin OR 1 68pin and 1
50 pin) without running into problems.  Are you using only 2
connectors?  The FreeBSD Adaptec driver used to yell at you if you
violated this rule and connected up all three ports.

Drew