Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:02:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, MG_Tak <mgtak@crosswinds.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Off topic, sorta: home RJ-45 wiring

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> >>         I've been using an RJ-45 cable to connect a
> >> laptop that's in another room to the HUB in my room.
> >> The cable runs right accross the hallway which, on
> >> top of being ugly, is not really practical. So I
> >> figured I could climb into my attic and run the
> >> cable through the attic and into my room, using
> >> wall-plugs.
> >>
> >>         Putting holes in the wall is easy enough, but
> >> I'm not sure about what I need, what type of cable,
> >> etc.. Does anyone know of a web-page that would
> >> offer some sort of guide to home-wiring?
> >
> >You need "Category 5" or "Cat 5" wiring.  You can buy it at most home
> >improvement stores or an electrical supply shop.  They will also
> >(probably) sell wall-mount RJ45 jacks.
>
> I haven't seen this sort of thing in home improvement stores, but I'm in
> a pretty rural area.  Maybe things are better where you are.  In any
> case I can recommend a vendor we've used frequently for this sort of
> thing here in the office:
>
> MilesTek, Inc.
> 1-800-524-7444
> www.milestek.com
>
> They have everything you need and are easy to work with.

I've seen cat5 cable and jacks at Home Depot, but if you don't have one
nearby you can always go to DataCom Warehouse (warehouse.com)  They carry
everything you need and I've typically gotten everything within a day or
two depending on what time I ordered.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking