Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 10:52:51 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        ambrisko@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux emulation file descriptor leakage -current?

Quoting Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> (from Tue, 16 May 2006 =20
01:04:36 -0700):

>> > The following code from linux_stats.c looked dodgy to me so I
>> > reverted /sys/{i386/linux,compat/{linux,linprocfs}} to about
>> > one month old state and the problem disappears.  skype still
>> > opens about 296 files but no more.
>>
>> Can you please do a binary search for the commit which breaks this? Go
>> to a 2 week old current and see if the problem is still there. If it
>> isn't, the problem appeared in the last two weeks, so update to an one
>> week old current (and so on). I think only the kernel needs to be
>> updated.
>
> Yes, only the kernel needs to be updated.  Look at rev 1.80
> of /sys/compat/linux/linux_stats.c and related changes
> (commited on 2006/05/05 16:10:45).  I am reasonably certain
> this is the culprit.  To avoid looking at alpha support
> removal changes (which have nothing to do with this) do
>
>     cd /sys/compat/linux
>     cvs diff -D'1 month ago' -D'1 week ago'
>
> This is the only change in that time period.  Perhaps the
> commit (sponsored by IronPort Systems) needs to be vetted.
> Removing this code has fixed the problem for me.  If you
> have an alternative fix I'll be happy to try it.

Doug, the problem we see is a file descriptor leak with several =20
applications. For example start acroread and try to open a file by =20
browsing for it (instead of specifying it at the command line). =20
Another possibility is to start skype and login. Can you please have a =20
look at it?

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20