Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 09:56:59 -0700
From:      Ben Schumacher <bs@cyalchemy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: basic networking question.

At 01:24 PM 11/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>I am familiar with Linux and I am new to FreeBSD.
>I have looked through the handbook, Networking FAQs, and perhaps my
>question is to basic.
>At Install time, I did not configure the network on the FreeBSD system.
>Thinking that all I would need to do is edit rc.network, but that is not
>turning out as easy as I thought it would be.
>All I want to do is specify the IP, Network, Broadcast, an default gateway
>of the machine!
>What needs to be specified in the rc.conf/network files?

In your case, you should only need these lines in your "/etc/rc.conf":

ifconfig_ed0="inet <address> netmask <netmask>"
defaultrouter="<router address>"

>I tried to manually issue the command
>ifconfig ed0 IP.addess bradcast ip.broadcast netowrk ip.network
>and I got an error message that device ed0 did not exist.
>
>Do I have to recompile the kernel?

You might need to recompile.  Do an "ifconfig -a" and see if the interface
is listed under another name.  (On NE2000-compat cards, it will sometimes
be ed1, etc.)  However, FreeBSD's default settings for an ISA NE2000 card
is port 0x280, irq 10, and iomem 0xd8000.  If your card is not configured
with those settings, you will probably need to recompile the kernel.

If the card is an ISA PNP, you will need to check out the handbook on using
PNP cards. (I don't have much experience with ISA PNP cards and FreeBSD...
sorry.)

Finally, if the card is a PCI NE2000 compat card, then the interface will
most likely be ed1.  Or, if you're not even using a NE2000 card, you could
have any number of other options.  The best thing to do (to start out with)
is check out "ifconfig -a" and see if your interface is already listed.

Hope this helps,
- Ben Schumacher