Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 15:18:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Asthetic Issues

Still working on a JED port.  Got it working, now I just need to find a
way to make it feel right.

By default, the port creates /usr/local/jed, then creates bin, lib, info,
and doc under that.  bin gets one file that should only be called by JED,
for its mail-handling mode.  lib gets all the config and sl files (slang
programs, equivelent of emac's .el files).  info and doc are pretty
self-explanitory.

jed/doc is definitely getting moved to /usr/local/share/doc/jed

bin and lib can stay where they're at, not sure about the info directory.

What I'm really concerned with, is that I was told that a program
shouldn't expect to have it's own directory under /usr or /usr/local.  At
this point, I'm favoring using /usr/local/lib/jed, with bin and lib under
that.

Finally, given that JED's make install sets up these directories itself,
should I not use the make install from it's makefile, and duplicate that
myself, or should I move everything again in post-install?  There's no way
other than tweeking the Makefile to get the existing Makefile to put these
in different areas.

There also seems to be some differences that I'm tripping over between
2.1.5 and 2.2 (sorry, no 3.0 machine to test with), where the 2.2 machine
is setting up in the directory /usr/local/lib/jed instead of
/usr/local/jed.  This may be due to configure detecting a previous install
of jed, though both machines already had a non-port install of jed done.
If there isn't anything that might cause this, don't worry about it, I'll
track it down one way or another.