Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:19:43 +0300
From:      Ilker OZUPAK <ilker.ozupak@emu.edu.tr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mount name length limit (MNAMELEN)

On Wednesday 04 August 2004 17:40, Patrick Dung wrote:
> Hi
>
> It seems that the constant is in /usr/sys/sys/mount.h.
> The limit is already there since the initial import in
> 1995. (From 4.4BSD?)
> I want to know what is the root cause preventing a
> larger value.
>
> PS: I have found some interesting links about
> MNAMELEN:
>
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2003-08/msg00194.html
>
> http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/FreeBSD/mnamelen.hawk
>
> >From Compaq(HP) Tru64 UNIX 5.1 man pages, it seems
>
> that Tru64 UNIX also have a restriction of 90
> chars.(They also based on BSD?)
> http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/MAN/MAN2/01
>14____.HTM
from -> http://h30097.www3.hp.com/unix/standards.html
The HP Tru64 UNIX operating system is a 64-bit advanced kernel architecture
based on Carnegie-Mellon University's Mach V2.5 kernel design, with
components from Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) 4.3 and 4.4, UNIX System
V, and other sources. Tru64 UNIX uses an implementation of The Open Group's
OSF/1 Release1.0, Release1.1, and Release R1.2 technology, the Motif
graphical user interface and programming environment, and supports the full
features of The Open Group's X Window System, Version 11, Release 6.5
(X11R6.5.)
IO
GpG key @ http://www.emu.edu.tr/ilker/ilker.asc